clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn women’s basketball dumps Georgetown, 83-55

All five starters reached double-figures in their first game without Aubrey Griffin.

Connecticut v Georgetown Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images

UConn women’s basketball took care of business on Sunday with an 83-55 road win over the Georgetown Hoyas. It was the Huskies’ first game without Aubrey Griffin, who suffered a non-contact knee injury on Wednesday at Creighton.

All five starters reached double-figures in the victory, led by 18 points from Aaliyah Edwards. Ashlynn Shade added 16 points, Paige Bueckers had 15 and Arnold chipped in 12. Bueckers and Arnold each had five assists and four steals as well. Nika Mühl set a season-high with 14 points thanks to a 4-5 day from behind the arc and also added a team-best eight assists.

UConn dominated a few key areas: Fast break points (20-0), points off turnovers (33-7) and points in the paint (40-14). Georgetown finished with more turnovers (22) than made baskets (21).

The Hoyas started fast out of the gates, doubling UConn up at 14-7 less than five minutes in. They made five of their first nine shots — including both 3-point attempts — while grabbing three offensive rebounds.

The Huskies’ freshmen kept them afloat early. Shade started them off with a 3-pointer and she combined with Arnold for the team’s first nine points. Once Bueckers got involved, it was all over for Georgetown. UConn closed the first quarter on a 12-0 to go back ahead for the first time since the opening bucket.

The Huskies’ defense continued to stifle the Hoyas into the second quarter. At one point, the hosts missed nine straight shots and went over eight minutes without a point. UConn quickly pushed the gap to double-digits and led by as many as 20, but an 11-3 run from Georgetown cut it down to 12 at the half.

Out of the break, the Hoyas got within single-digits off a 3-pointer from Kelsey Ransom, but the Huskies quickly put an end to any thoughts of a comeback. They answered with 10 straight points that saw all five players score a basket. UConn entered the fourth quarter with its largest lead of the day at 68-43.

After an uneventful final period, the Huskies came away with a 28-point victory.

Next, UConn will return home and get ready to take on Providence at the XL Center on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. ET.