clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn football smashes Sacred Heart on Senior Day

The Huskies outmatched their FCS opponent to end the home slate on a positive note.

Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog

UConn football did what it was supposed to against a struggling FCS Sacred Heart team, winning 31-3 to improve to 2-9 with one game left in the season.

The Huskies dominated their FCS opponents on both sides of the ball, outgaining the Pioneers with 407 total yards to 224 and earning 24 first downs to their opponents’ 13.

Starting quarterback Ta’quan Roberson was key to UConn’s offensive success, completing 22 of 35 passes for a career-high four touchdown passes — the first time a quarterback reached that mark for the school since David Pindell did it in 2018.

UConn’s defensive line kept Sacred Heart uncomfortable all afternoon, racking up eight tackles for loss and two sacks. The Pioneers managed just 2.7 yards per carry on the ground, and 27 of their 78 total rushing yards came from a quarterback scramble on a broken play.

On the other side of the ball, UConn’s rushing attack gave them a stable avenue to keep drives going. Their offensive line won the line of scrimmage consistently all game, allowing Cam Edwards and Victor Rosa to rack up the yards — Edwards had 90 yards on 7.5 yards per carry.

UConn’s first drive of the game stalled out in Pioneer territory and ended in a 50-yard field goal, but the offense kicked into gear soon after. Ta’quan Roberson extended the lead on their next drive with a 46-yard touchdown huck to Cam Ross that traveled a good 50 yards in the air.

The Huskies added to their total with a 12-yard touchdown on a fade route to Justin Joly on a drive that took advantage of a shanked punt to give them great starting field position.

Roberson spread the love around, hitting Kylish Hicks with a back shoulder dart for the first touchdown of his UConn career, capping a flawless two-minute drill to end the half.

UMass’ lone points of the game came on a 12-play, 68-yard drive in the second quarter that culminated in a 24-yard field goal as UConn’s defense stiffened up near the end zone.

The Huskies next set their sights on their final game of the season against UMass, scheduled for noon on Saturday, November 25 at Amherst.