Have you subscribed to The UConn Fast Break newsletter yet? CLICK HERE to get this feature sent directly to your inbox every Monday morning!
The latest UConn athletics news
From The UConn Blog:
- UConn Men’s Basketball and Football teams return to Storrs as part of campus reopening pilot program
- Get the lowdown on everything that happened with UConn women’s basketball this week
- You can almost taste the salt in this chippy Q & A with Georgetown beat writer
- Former UConn Baseball pitcher Nick Krauth signs free-agent deal with Texas Rangers
- See what Providence men’s basketball has been up to and what they’ll look like this upcoming season
- UConn Football lands a top QB target for 2021 in Avon Old Farms’ Tyler Phommachanh
From Other Sources:
- Hurley’s Huskies given third-best odds in Big East to win National Championship
- With potential budget cuts looming, former UConn Olympic sport athletes answer the call
- Check out UConn Men’s Basketball all-time records against every Big East opponent
- UConn Baseball’s Reggie Crawford crushes recent interview with CT Sports Talent
- RJ Cole makes list of men’s college basketball transfers ready to make an impact
- ESPN’s #9 recruit in the class of 2021 has the Huskies in her final five:
U Gotta See This
This Paige Bueckers highlight reel is amazing.
UConn, Great Pic
Photos of UConn’s finest
- Posts in celebration of Pride Month went out across UConn social media platforms:
Find out what the UConn coaches are up to on and off the court
- David Benedict, Geno, and Coach Hurley saddle up for the UConn Coaches Road Show, which will be broadcast via Facebook Live on Wednesday, July 1 at 7pm
- UConn Football’s RB coach is eager to reunite with his players and get the season underway
- Geno dishes on Diana Taurasi and touches on MJ comparisons in light of “The Last Dance”
What They’re Chirpin’ About
Highlights from the UConn Twitter-verse
- Who needs a pep band in the stands when you’ve got your own jam band on the court?
People must not know I got bounce too ♂️ Just Watch https://t.co/XqEUBGW5Vf— Jalen Gaffney (@jalengaffney) June 14, 2020
- Sounds like Caron didn’t “Do the Dew” when in the presence of The Mamba:
- What MOORE can we say?! The woman is an (inter)national treasure:
Thing is.....there's an athlete that's already done that.— Looking For My Lot And Savior. (@NataTheScribe) June 13, 2020
Her name is Maya Moore. https://t.co/WGRYxJPo7J
- And we look forward to bringing up the 2011 National Championship at every opportunity:
Big League Buzz
Catch up on former UConn players working across the sports world
With the WNBA’s recently-announced plan to play in 2020, we figured we’d dedicate this week’s Big League Buzz to the former Huskies tearing up the court on the highest stage!
- WNBA set to return in July with 22 game regular season followed by standard playoffs
- Renee Montgomery takes a page out of Maya Moore’s book by pausing her play to support Atlanta protests and drive fundraising efforts to aid in the fight for social justice reform
- Also in Atlanta, Tiffany Hayes has been making waves with the WNBA’s Dream
- These highlights from Crystal Dangerfield’s UConn career make it clear why the Minnesota Lynx are so excited about their rookie point guard:
Fun expressions of Husky fandom from across the web
- This magazine should exist:
- Rodney Purvis is happy about a UConn offer going out:
- This was a fun thread:
- These very good boys absolutely crushed #NationalMascotDay this year!
Revisiting the history of UConn sports
- Find out which of Geno’s rosters are in the running as the best Huskies teams to not cut down the nets
- Relive the historic 1996 Big East Tournament finals which pitted Ray Allen’s Huskies against Allen Iverson’s Hoyas
- Where was the 2019 centennial celebration to commemorate this?
A faculty-student "greased pig race" on campus in 1919, won by the faculty that year pic.twitter.com/ncFVjiBfia— Old Main: The UConn History Corner (@main_old) June 17, 2020
Once UConn sports return, we’ll provide info for the week’s upcoming games in this space. Until then, enjoy some classic recommendations from the vault.
People may forget, but UConn football used to be downright solid. While many consider the Fiesta Bowl to be the peak of the program, the 2009 team was the third season of a four-year run where the Huskies went 8-5 or better, and hit the program’s high point in Bill Connelly’s SP+ rankings. It ended with a glorious victory over South Carolina in the PapaJohns.com Bowl, 20-7.
CLICK HERE to watch this gem of a victory, where Andre Dixon ran the ball 33 times for 126 yards and the Husky defense held USC to just 205 yards of total offense while forcing two turnovers. UConn quarterback Zach Frazer outdueled Stephen Garcia with a thrilling 9/21 performance for 107 yards and a touchdown.
Cause We Care
Learn about non-profits and charitable causes benefiting the great people of Connecticut
As we mentioned earlier, Renee Montgomery is putting the movement before the money and pausing her WNBA career to focus on social justice reform.
CLICK HERE to learn about the Renee Montgomery Foundation and their work that harnesses the power of sports to teach valuable life skills. Her foundation is also involved in advocating for women’s sports, especially her beloved basketball!
A parting sentiment from The Fast Break team
Finish off this week’s edition with a peaceful stroll down Horsebarn Hill alongside Jonathan:
Horsebarn Hill is one of my favorite places.Posted by Jonathan the Husky on Monday, June 15, 2020