Before you begin this week’s edition of #TheFastBreak, we want to remind you to check out The UConn Hockey Hub, which brings you the most in-depth coverage of UConn men’s hockey! We encourage fans of the Huskies’ icecapades to subscribe and hope you enjoy all The Hub’s high-quality hockey content this season!
The latest UConn athletics news
From The UConn Blog:
- UConn men’s basketball follows up opening-game victory over CCSU by barely beating UHart with this week’s revised Legends Classic looming
- Positive COVID-19 test pauses UConn women’s basketball activities for 14 days and catalyzes unwelcome slew of new obstacles for Geno’s squad to overcome
- UConn hockey series with Maine postponed due to COVID concerns as coronavirus pandemic continues to create chaos for college athletes caught in the crossfire
- UConn football punter from Down Under leaving as grad transfer
- Predictions and prop bets for 2020-21 UConn men’s basketball team
- Chasing Perfection pod talks UConn women’s basketball’s stalled season
From Other Sources:
- Restocked UConn women’s basketball team seen as Final Four locks
- James Bouknight, Andre Jackson make 2021 NBA draft preview
- Christyn, Paige, and Evina on list of top 25 women’s college basketballers
- Hurley’s Huskies considered ‘Breakthrough Team’ candidate while Christyn Williams one of seven special players expected to breakout on the women’ side
- Akok Akok pivotal to success of UConn men’s basketball 2020-21 season
- Freshman Mir Mclean accepting new role on ultra-talented Huskies team
CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Fast Break newsletter and get this weekly source for UConn sports sent directly to your inbox every Monday!
U Gotta See This
Bouknight and co. put on a show during their season debut:
UConn, Great Pic
Photos of UConn’s finest
“The Wrench” in all his glory:
Find out what UConn coaches are up to on and off the court
- Dan Hurley doesn’t hold back when assessing his team’s disappointing defensive effort against CCSU and painful performance against Harford:
- Coronavirus concerns causing Geno to temper season expectations
- Jim Penders breaks down Big East move on Baseball America’s college pod
- Safety risks dampening excitement for Coach Hurley and his Huskies with same sentiment shared by Dan’s brother Bobby at Arizona State
- Geno details UConn women’s basketball’s 14-day delay
Big League Buzz
Catch up on former UConn players working across the sports world
- We’re thinking UConn football’s QB1 from 2018 could have done better than Denver’s dismal passing display on Sunday (1-9 for 13 yards and 2 interceptions), but that could just be the #BleedBlue bias talking:
Still available! bring me in just for a workout https://t.co/EQjxantkAS— David Pindell (@davidpindell_) November 28, 2020
- Napheesa Collier shares keys to proper preparation learned during time in Storrs
- Kemba may not be ready for start to next season and was almost shipped out of Boston for top-5 pick prior to 2020 NBA Draft
- Crystal Dangerfield dishes on WNBA season, silencing the haters
- Renee Montgomery continues to advocate for activism:
.@ReneeMontgomery has inspired so many for taking a stand for racial and social equity, on and off the court—and educated us on the importance of activism across industries and communities.— Pete Buttigieg (@PeteButtigieg) November 25, 2020
Listen to full conversation at https://t.co/iZo5sHoZPD or wherever you stream podcasts. pic.twitter.com/FdMieRcm3n
Revisit special moments in UConn sports history
The numbers speak for themselves:
One of these logos appears more than any other.... pic.twitter.com/dPCSAolQgb— UConn Football Scoops (0-0) (@uconnfbscoops) November 24, 2020
Once UConn sports return, we’ll provide info for the week’s upcoming games in this space. Until then, enjoy some classic recommendations from the vault!
Last week, we looked back on Jim Calhoun’s lambasting of a reporter after he asked a question Calhoun was so tired of hearing. The ill-received query was focused on Ryan Gomes’ success at Providence and reminded UConn’s legendary coach of his decision to not extend a scholarship offer to Gomes in lieu of locking down Emeka Okafor and Caron Butler. In hindsight, this decision worked out quite well for the Huskies and it would be hard to imagine those early 2000 UConn teams without those two stars.
This week, we’ll relive another memorable press conference involving Coach Calhoun where his compensation and standing as the highest-paid person in the state of Connecticut was brought up in light of the state facing severe budget cuts. As you’ll see in the clip below, Calhoun was ready to field this question and emphatically stated that he had no intention of returning any of his hard-earned compensation.
Without further ado, here is Couch Calhoun’s epic “Not a dime back” rant in its entirely:
Cause We Care
Learn about non-profits and causes worthy of UConn Nation’s support
Tomorrow is National Giving Day and UConn Athletics is “calling all Huskies to show support for their favorite program or athletic priority” by donating to the Husky Athletic Fund. Proceeds will benefit UConn student-athletes and be used to support athletic programs being hard-hit by budget cuts in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
CLICK HERE to learn more and find out how to make your #GivingDay donation!
One more glimpse of UConn glory
We’ll be ready:
We promise they’re worth the wait! pic.twitter.com/6vjDbCo8Xq— UConn Women’s Basketball (@UConnWBB) November 28, 2020
A parting sentiment from The Fast Break team
Be sure to follow us on social media!