clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn Men’s Soccer’s Match vs. Providence Cancelled by Lightning

The two teams played 60 minutes of soccer that ultimately did not count due to the weather.

Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog

The UConn Huskies men’s soccer team dodged a bullet Tuesday night. In a game lasting only 60 minutes due to two lightning delays, the match was ultimately cancelled. NCAA games cannot be played past 10:00 p.m, and a lightning sighting at 9:30 put the nail in the coffin. The game will not count, despite Providence leading 1-0 in the 60th minute.

It poured the entire match and the slick ball on the field turf seemed to throw UConn off. For as cohesive as UConn looked last Saturday against Memphis, they were lacking the final product today.

Providence scored just two minutes after the first lightning delay ended. A communication breakdown between UConn’s defense and midfield let a Providence dribbler slice into the box. The shot deflected right to a waiting Andualem Chisholm, who put it past goalkeeper Austin Aviza.

UConn only managed one shot on goal, a well-placed header from talisman Abdou Mbacke Thiam. Besides that, it was a game slowed by the inclement weather. Providence was content to let UConn possess the ball in the back for most of the first half, and UConn was unable to mount any attack.

In the second half, the Friars ratcheted up the pressure. This opened the game up into a counter-friendly track meet, and UConn appeared to be finding its footing. However, lightning struck once more, this time in the 60th minute. This was the second game that was cancelled due to lovely New England weather.


  • Prior to this tilt, UConn had received 20 votes from the United Soccer Coaches poll and rose to No. 15 in RPI rankings. And over the weekend, four Huskies were named to the AAC Weekly Honor Roll.
  • It’s hard to draw a lot of conclusions in a “game” like this. The ball moves so fast in the turf, even a deft first touch can get away from you. But that’s not an excuse. The team looked flat coming out of the lightning delay, and was clearly frustrated with its lack of buildup. Several turnovers were either behind a player, a second late, or a second early.
  • Aviza did a good job of keeping the Huskies in the game. He was able to quickly cut off an angle on a Providence breakthrough on the right side in the first half. Later in that half, he showed composure in handling a blast from Providence player Joao Serrano.

Next up for UConn is a home game against the Cincinnati on Saturday, Oct. 6 with a 7 p.m. kickoff at Morrone Stadium. The Bearcats are just 3-7 on the year.