clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn Women’s Soccer Ties Colorado College, 1-1 (OT)

The Huskies end their non-conference schedule with a hard-fought draw.

Vivien Beil (21) takes a shot that would go into the net for UConn’s only goal.
Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog

The UConn Huskies women’s soccer team concluded their non-conference schedule with a 1-1 draw in overtime to the Colorado College Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

Despite controlling play most of the game, the Huskies simply could not find the back of the net.

“We’re just naive about going to get the ball. We wait for the ball to come to us,” said head coach Len Tsantiris. “You have to be hungry and hunt inside the box and try to get a garbage goal.”

The first half was dominated by UConn in every facet — Except the scoreboard. They held a 10-to-3 advantage in shots and a 6-to-0 edge on corner kicks.

However, it was the Tigers who struck first. The Huskies defense was caught out of position, allowing Lauren Milliet to find Johanna Hemblett on the back post, who slipped it past UConn’s goalie Mollie Kerrigan to take a 1-0 lead.

With the weather hot and humid, both teams used their bench frequently. Colorado College played five players in the first half while Tsantiris used eight. The move for fresh legs certainly paid off for the Huskies.

In the 36th minute, reserve Kim Urbanek beat a pair of defenders and sent the ball across the box to Vivien Beil, who collected it and sent it past the keeper to even the game at 1-1.

The second half followed a similar script to the first, sans the goals. UConn had their chances but couldn’t finish, a recurring issue this season. Kess Elmore, Yamilee Eveillard and Beil all would come close as their shots sailed over the net.

Without a goal, the Huskies headed into overtime for the fourth-straight game and fifth time this season.

The Huskies best opportunity came off a free kick from the top of the 18. However, Beil was unable to get the shot on target, keeping the game deadlocked.

While UConn controlled the game, the Tigers nearly stole it in the second overtime period. A through-ball got behind the Huskies defense but the ensuing shot went just wide of the post.

Neither team could break the tie and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. UConn was clearly the better team but just couldn’t score. They out-shot Colorado College 23-11 and had eight more corner kicks.

The Huskies finish the non-conference portion of their schedule with a 2-4-3 record. They will need to pick up the pace in conference play to work themselves into the NCAA Tournament conversation.

Tsantiris’ squad will have 10 days off before opening conference play against Cincinnati on Sep. 28.