clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn Women’s Soccer Falls to St. John’s, 1-0

The Huskies are still looking for their first win of the season

Ian Bethune - The UConn Blog

Scoring was certain to be an issue for the UConn Huskies women’s soccer team this season after losing 91 percent of their goal scoring from last season. It has been a major issue through their first three games and that trend continued Friday as UConn fell 1-0 to the St. John’s Red Storm at the CCSU Tournament in New Britain, Connecticut.

The Huskies have now failed to score in their last 302 minutes of game-action, going back to the season-opener against Syracuse.

They weren’t without their chances, though.

While St. John’s controlled possession in the first half, UConn took advantage of their time with the ball, attacking the net early and often. Their best opportunity of the half came off a cross from Kess Elmore into Vivien Beil, who had an open look. However, Beil wasn’t able to get a clean touch on the ball and the shot trickled wide.

The Johnnies came back with a laser from 30 yards out, but the shot sailed high over the goal. They continued to keep the pressure on, forcing UConn keeper Mollie Kerrigan to make an impressive diving save.

The second half opened with a similar script until the 49th minute. After the Huskies committed a foul at the top of the box, St. John’s sent a cross into the back post. Kerrigan hesitated coming out and was unable to punch the ball out of danger. This opened the door for the Red Storm’s Christina Bellero, who headed it in to give her team a 1-0 lead.

The goal didn’t deflate the Huskies however. After the ensuing kickoff, UConn came back with arguably their best chance of the night. Heidi Druehl sent a corner into the box that found the head of Zoe Steck. She redirected the ball at the net but the St. John’s keeper made an impressive save to keep the Huskies scoreless.

UConn continued to keep the pressure up but, much like they have all season, failed to find the back of the net. They had one final chance in the waning seconds off a deep cross but the desperate scramble fell short.

With the loss, the Huskies fall to 0-3-1 on the season. They return on Sunday to try and capture their first win of the season against the CCSU Blue Devils. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. in New Britain.