clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Late Goal Lifts UConn Women’s Soccer Over Boston University

Stephanie Ribeiro has two game winners in two games after putting one in the back of the net in the 88th minute of a scoreless game.

Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog

UConn Women’s Soccer defeated Boston University on Sunday afternoon thanks to a late goal by Stephanie Ribeiro to advance to 2-0-0 on the season.

Ribeiro had a banner day, taking a team-high five shots, putting three on net and getting one in for her second goal in two games—both game-winners. UConn had another strong offensive performance, holding the advantage in both shots (14-6) and corners (6-5). Goalkeeper Emily Armstrong had three saves to earn her second shutout in as many games.

The two teams played pretty evenly in the first half, with most of the play coming in the middle third of the field. UConn pressed early, with two corners in the first 10 minutes, but could not get many shots off.

In the 27th minute, the Terriers made four substitutions and soon after that, the Huskies’ attacks started to create scoring chances.

In the 32nd minute, Ribeiro had a chance from the left side of goal but her shot went just wide of the far post. Ten minutes later, the Huskies almost scored after a nice lofted pass across the goal, but the Terriers stopped the attack.

UConn finished the first half with a 9-2 shot advantage and a 6-1 advantage on corner kicks. The Terriers had one shot on target to the Huskies’ four.

The game opened up a little bit more for both teams in the second half. Emily Armstrong made a couple nice saves in the first 20 minutes to keep her slate clean. Meanwhile, the Huskies had a few chances of their own.

In the 58th minute, Rachel Hill and Ribeiro had a nice give-and-go that allowed Ribeiro to take a shot from right in the middle of the field, just inside 18 yards, but Terriers goalkeeper Bridget Conway made an incredible save to keep the game at 0-0.

Ribeiro also had a shot from a similar spot that was blocked by a well-timed slide tackle in the 67th minute.

The Huskies came the close once again in the 73rd minute when Hill took a ball on the right side of the field and sent a cross in to Ribiero, a strategy which they seem to like using. She took the ball into the six-yard box and took a shot from point-blank range but was denied by Conway before the ball was cleared.

In the 89th minute, Hill sent the ball into the box from the left side, finding Ribeiro. She turned and fired, sending the ball under the diving Conway for the goal.

The Huskies’ next game is on Friday, August 26 when they travel to Cambridge, Mass. to play Harvard. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.