clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn Men’s Soccer Tops BC in Overtime

Dylan Greenberg scored with seven seconds left in the first overtime to get the win against Boston College.

Dylan Greenberg nets his first goal of the 2016 season.
Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog

UConn Men’s Soccer bounced back after a loss to USF this past weekend, getting a win against Boston College in extra time, 1-0. Dylan Greenberg netted the goal on a pass from Kwame Awuah with seven seconds left in the first session of overtime.

“We knew this was a massive game,” Awuah said. “It’s a New England rivalry. It was a little bit of a revenge game after they beat us last year.”

In the first half, the Huskies seemed to continue to have the struggles that plagued them during the match with USF. They made shots and held possession, but couldn’t get any goals.

The Huskies took six shots in the first half, forcing the Eagle goalkeeping duo of Jack Bacon and Cedric Saladin to make three saves. They only allowed shot from Boston College, which Scott Levene did not have to make a save on. UConn also held the advantage in corner kicks after the opening half, 5-to-0.

Much of the half was spent in the UConn offensive third, but the Huskies were not able to make either Bacon or Saladin work. They also had an offside call go against them on what was likely their best chance of the first 45 minutes.

It was still relatively early, in the 10th minute, when Abdou Mbacke Thiam took a through ball and found himself behind the defense, but the linesman’s flag was up for offside.

The second half saw much of the same for UConn.

Again, they had the ball for most of the half, with Boston College only mounting two extended attacks during the second half. Again, UConn had a solid amount of shots, taking seven more. Again, the Huskies had trouble finishing.

“We learned from this past weekend that we had to be more clinical,” Awuah said. “Obviously the goals never came.”

UConn had four more corners and even a penalty shot, but was still unable to find the net as the second half wore on..

In the 54th minute, Mbacke Thiam was dragged down in the box to earn the penalty. His shot was just high, hitting the crossbar just inside the left post.

“I just try to beat the keeper, but today it didn’t work,” Mbacke Thiam said.

In the 83rd minute, Mbacke Thiam almost scored a goal, but a fabulous defensive effort by Abe Bibas prevented the goal. Abdou slid in on a back pass and the ball but Bibas rushed back and was able to clear the bouncing ball just before the line.

Regulation ended in a scoreless tie, with an overtime round to follow where UConn grabbed the win with just seconds remaining.

Simen Olafsen brought the ball up, making multiple defenders miss before laying the ball off to Mbacke Thiam on the left side of the field. He sent a cross to Awuah, who passed the ball to Greenberg for the game-winning goal. It was his first of the season.

“[Awuah] saw me and I was clinical for the first time this season,” Greenberg said. “I’m excited and happy we won.”

UConn (11-4-0) has finished the non-conference season and will play next on Saturday in Orlando against UCF at 7:00 p.m.