· UConn and Notre Dame skate to a 3-3 tie in their first ever meeting, each taking a point in Hockey East.
· The Huskies remain in seventh in Hockey East with 10 points, tied with Northeastern.
· Notre Dame had the best chance of the game with 15 seconds to play, but Rob Nichols, as he usually does, came up clutch for the Huskies.
· The two teams finish their home-and-home series Sunday in Bridgeport.
**END OF REGULATION***
Just like the start of the second period, the Irish came out in control of the third, only this time, they did not let up. Notre Dame controlled the puck and tilted the ice in its favor, jumping out to a 10-3 shot advantage in the first 15 minutes of the period.
Austin Wuthrich gave the Irish's struggling power play another boost as he scored with 17 seconds left on Jacob Poe's penalty. Special teams were again a killer for the Huskies- Notre Dame scored on its lone power play of the period while UConn failed to get anything going on its late man advantage.
Regulation ended in a 3-3 tie, sending UConn to overtime for the third time in Hockey East this season. UConn is 0-1-1 in sudden death in conference play.
ND, 11:15 - Austin Wuthrich (PP); On ice for UConn: Huson, Pratt, Tyson, Ferriss
9:53 - Jacob Poe, 2 min., HOLDING THE STICK; Goal scored on PP
17:32 - Steven Fogarty, 2 min. GOALIE INTERFERENCE
Notre Dame came out of the intermission looking like the more dangerous team- the Irish got chance after chance and seemed ready to run away with the game.
Mario Lucia gave the Irish the lead for the second time in the game on his 14th goal of the year. The goal was the product of some beautiful passing by Notre Damee. But the lead would only last three minutes as UConn broke out on a three-on-one rush that finished with Shawn Pauly's third goal of the year.
Evan Richardson slipped the puck through two defensemen to get the puck to Pauly.
UConn scored again 1:21 later, when Cody Sharib won the puck and got in one-on-one against Cal Petersen, who never stood a chance.
Derek Pratt got shaken up on a shift early in the period and struggled to get off the ice. He was able to return to the game and was on the ice for the Sharib goal. Had Pratt been unable to continue, UConn would have been left with four healthy defensemen.
The Huskies are 1-3-1 on the road in Hockey East this season.
ND, 11:15 - Mario Lucia; On ice for UConn: Drake, Huson, Kirtland, Norris, Wight
UConn, 14:35 - Shawn Pauly; On ice for UConn: Pauly, Richardson, Gerling, Poe, Huson
UConn, 15:56 - Cody Sharib; On ice for UConn: Sharib, Ferriss, Tyson, Pratt, Poe
2:15 - Austin Wuthrich, 2 min., HOOKING
- The Huskies are 2-5-2 on the road this year.
- Ryan Segalla's 27 penalty minutes entering the game are the most by any UConn skater this season.
- Notre Dame entered the game ranked last in the nation in power play efficiency. The Huskies entered the game at 43rd in penalty kill percentage.
- Notre Dame scored a goal four seconds into the power play after Ryan Segalla was ejected from the game due to a game misconduct penalty.
- Spencer Naas came in with the equalizer for his fifth goal in five games.
NOTRE DAME - 6:27 - Robbie Russo (PP)
On ice for UConn: Poe, Austin, Tyson, Sharib
UConn - 13:30 - Spencer Naas
On ice for UConn: Naas, Ojantakanen, Ronan, Huson, Austin
6:23 - Ryan Segalla, 5 min. major and 10 min. game misconduct, HITTING FROM BEHIND; Goal scored during PP
6:23 - Peter Schneider, 2 min., ELBOWING
The last time UConn played against Notre Dame on television, the sport was women's basketball. It was pure domination and actually happened to be the national championship game. In fact, that year both the UConn Men's and Women's basketball teams...
Since the dissolution of the Big East, and Notre Dame's subsequent marriage to the ACC, we haven't been as familiar with Notre Dame as normal. While it has been fun to hate them from afar and chuckle heartily at the Manti Te'o story or recent academic allegations, it will be much more fun to face them in the arena. Here's to a good one.
The lines for the Huskies tonight:
Here is the UConn line-up vs. Notre Dame Friday night #BleedBlue pic.twitter.com/rU6lOJFnws— UConn Men's Hockey (@UConnMHOC) January 17, 2015
This is your open thread folks, enjoy the game.