clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: UConn 19, Stony Brook 16

The beautiful game of football died a little today at Rentschler Field.

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Despite an inefficient offense, the UConn Huskies (1-1) got the win today in extremely ugly fashion on the strength of a special teams touchdown and strong defensive play.

Sound familiar?

The only problem is that this was against an FCS team, Stony Brook (0-2) that lost 13-7 to Bryant last week. We beat them by three points. The offensive line couldn't do anything, it was a problem today and it will be a bigger problem down the road. Runners didn't have space, as the team's 2.3 yards per carry can attest. Chandler Whitmer was sacked three times and constantly under pressure.

The offensive playcalling didn't display very much creativity, but perhaps that was intentional, after all this is Bob Diaco's "preparation phase". Today his team somehow found a way to get their coach the win.

Whitmer had his moments, and was at least able to connect with Geremy Davis six times for 113 yards and a touchdown, but overall his performance was shaky at best. He finished with 142 yards while completing only 12 of his 27 attempts.

Luckily the UConn defense came through in a big way, and can hardly be blamed for any of the opponent's points. Stony Brook scored their first touchdown on a fumble recovery and a field goal came after Chandler Whitmer fumbled deep in Husky territory. After the first quarter, UConn was down 10-3.

The Huskies scored on a field goal drive to start the second quarter and then, after trading punts for the majority of the quarter, scored on a quick 70-yard drive capped off by a 30-yard pass from Chandler Whitmer to Geremy Davis.

Every possession in the third quarter was a punt, except for one at the end of the quarter by Stony Brook which ended with a turnover on downs. UConn pushed the lead to 19-10 thanks to a punt-return touchdown from Deshon Foxx.

The fourth quarter was more of the same until Stony Brook scored on an 80-yard drive where the Huskies defense looked gassed. The score was 19-16 and the Seawolves were forced to attempt an onside kick which Geremy Davis recovered. Game over.

Let's just never talk about this game again, ok?