clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UConn-Stanford Final Score: Stanford ends UConn's 47-game winning streak with 88-86 overtime win

It seemed like everything went wrong down the stretch for the Huskies as they fell in overtime at No. 6 Stanford.

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

In an early season shocker, No. 1 UConn went into Stanford's Maples Pavilion and came away with their first loss since March 2013.

No. 6 Stanford (2-0) yet again ended another UConn winning streak, this time at 47 games.

The Cardinal defeated the Huskies 88-86 in overtime, overcoming a 10 point deficient late in the second half as Amber Orrange hit a three-pointer with 1.7 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 77 to force overtime.

Orrange hit a jumper to give the Cardinal the lead for good with 1:38 left in overtime.

In a game in which UConn (1-1) struggled throughout, and especially towards the end, the Huskies suffered their first loss since playing Notre Dame in the Big East Championship game in March 2013.

During the final moments of regulation, UConn showed very little patience on the offensive end-- taking quick shots and failing to take time off the clock.

The Huskies had opportunities throughout the second half to put the Cardinal away; however, UConn shot an uncharacteristic 40.6 percent from the field - 11 for 30 from three-point range. Defensively, the Huskies had trouble guarding and the Cardinal was able to capitalize with easy shots. Stanford shot 49.2 percent from the floor.

Stanford's Lili Thompson led all scorers with 24 points and Orrange added 17.  Breanna Stewart scored 23 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Huskies. Saniya Chong added a career-high 20 points.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis struggled with her shot for most of the game. Mosqueda-Lewis, coming off a 30 point performance at UC-Davis, finished with 12 points on 3 for 11 shooting. She hit two three-pointers late in regulation to give UConn a 10 point lead late in regulation.

Geno Auriemma only used two players off his bench - Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck. Both combined for 20 points, but both fouled out.

The Huskies seemed to take control early in this game. UConn went up 18-9 at 12:01 after a Mosqueda-Lewis free throw. Then the Cardinal would inch closer towards the end of the half.  After a brief Stanford lead at 36-35 with under two minutes to go, the Huskies led 40-38 at the half.

Stanford came out of the locker room in the second half jumping out to a 42-41 lead when Karlie Samuelson hit a three with 17:53 left in regulation. Chong and Stewart hit back-to-back threes to give the Huskies the lead for the rest of the game until Orrange hit the shot to force overtime with seconds to go.

UConn fell to 1-3 all-time in Maples Pavilion against Stanford. The Huskies have not won an overtime game since 2003.

UConn returns to action on Sunday in their home-opener against Creighton at Gampel Pavilion.