I've officially given in. Yesterday, I opened a Twitter account, and I now will try to tweet from here on out with some regularity. You can either follow us at twitter.com/theuconnblog, or simply take a gander at the third tab there on your right (cleverly) labeled "TheTwitterAccount," where the five most recent Tweets will aggregate.
Now, I have been anti-Twitter pretty much since I heard of it. But I've recently come around, and in defense of the pride of my hood, here are my reasons for joining the Twitter herd (or at least what I'm telling myself to make it seem OK.):
- We here at TheUConnBlog like to do most of our posting in long-form and we tend to stay away from merely recapping the news reported by actual reporters. In order to continue to focus more on opinion and doling out the yucks, Twitter allows us to A) alert reader(s) to news that might not be column-worthy and B) write a one-liner or point something out that couldn't be stretched into a full post.
- I work a good amount, and therefore don't have as much time as I'd like to write posts. But with Twitter, I can contribute more frequently.
- The Dove is on Twitter. I would jump off a bridge if the Dove did. (The "following" request has already been sent.)
- At first, the perception of Twitter was that it's just another medium to tell your friends you're at the gym or "hangin wit friendz." But it has kind of evolved to better suit fellows like myself who need an application to both self-promote and crack wise in 140 characters or fewer.
- I like the idea of having followers. It makes me feel like a cult leader.
- Apparently, the journalism industry feels it is a pretty important tool because it allows you to promote your stories and whatnot. Although I'll be linking to our posts, I don't care as much about this.
- I've always wanted to be popular via the worldwide web, but I have yet to find out how people break into the porn industry. Seriously, how do you do it? Do you have to know a guy? And then, how do you know that guy to begin with?
- If you sign up, you'll be notified of when new posts go up. News is now proactive.
That's all I got for now. Feel free to chastise me in the comments. (Or my Twitter feed!)